Baingan Bharta , Eggplant chutney and Sutta Kattarikkai Pachadi are oft prepared Eggplant dishes at home. But the spicy roasted Eggplant Slices served along with Kichdi at my daughter’s place was an entirely new gastronomic experience for me . As always I tried out the dish at home and now it has become an oft prepared dish too ! Baingan Baja is an easy to make side dish which can turn a simple and healing Paruppu Sadam / Dal Chawal / Bele Tovvae and Anna into a special meal !
Eggplant – 1 ( Choose a fresh and well formed vegetable without blemishes or holes )
Besan – 1/2 cup
Sambar Powder – 1 1/2 tbsps
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tbsp
Asafoetida Or any other Masala powder of your choice – 1/4 tsp
Sesame oil – For roasting
1. Wash and cut the Eggplant uniformly into 1/4 inch thick slices and immediately immerse them in water.
2. Mix all the dry ingredient together in a shallow plate.
3. Drain the Eggplant slices and dust them thoroughly on both sides with the spice powder mixture.
4. Let the powder coated slices stand for ten to fifteen minutes till the moisture in the slices absorb the spice.
5. Heat a greased tava and pour one tablespoon of oil on it.
6. Arrange four spice coated eggplant slices on the tava and cover with a lid.
7. After two minutes remove the lid and cook for another minute till you see reddish brown spots on the roasted side.
8. Flip the slices , dribble oil around and roast the other side.
9. When they are done remove the crisp Tava Roasted Spicy Eggplant on to a plate.
10. Cook all the slices similarly batch by batch .
Tastes yummy as they are and goes very well with non spicy rice preparations.