Protein and fiber rich Quinoa is a nutritious food which can be used in the preparation of any South Indian dish which appeals to the taste buds. Quinoa Vegetable Upma turned out good when I tried it out for the first time long time ago . Here is another simple and easy version of Quinoa Upma seasoned with pepper – a comfort food to keep one warm on a cold and rainy day. Posting this recipe on request for a follower who was interested in the recipe on seeing the picture posted on the face book page of CAK.
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Fresh ginger ( Chopped) – 1 tsp
Green chillies ( Chopped ) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Fresh grated coconut – 2 tbsps
1. Rinse Quinoa two or three times and soak in clean water for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the soaked Quinoa and cook with 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of oil.
3. Cook on low flame for 15 minutes till all the water evaporates and allow it to cool down.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the crushed pepper and cumin seeds.
5. Add cashew nuts and fry till they are golden in colour.
6. Add asafoetida followed by green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
7. Fluff up the cooked Quinoa and add it to the seasoning along with salt.
8. Stir well till the moisture evaporates , and the Upma emanates a pleasant aroma .
9. Stir in grated coconut and switch off flame.
Mix well and enjoy the Quinoa Pepper Upma with Vegetable Salad or Raita.