POTATO RICE / URULAIKIZHANGU SADAM
Rice is the staple food thorough out our country. Especially so in the South since it is widely cultivated in this region. Eating cooked plain rice along with dal and vegetables has been a daily routine since ancient times. Traditionally prepared Variety Rice also known Chitra Anna or Kalanda Sadam is usually limited to only traditional festive menus. Not anymore ! Variety Rice has found its own special niche as a one pot meal in our daily meal plan .
People who have hectic work schedules prefer one pot meals / lunch box meals for the ease of cooking , cleaning and time saving . Variety Rice comes in handy during these situations. Other than Pulavs , Biriyanis and the traditional Chitra Annas , more and more innovative rice recipes with South Indian flavour are coming up on culinary platforms .
Here is a very simple Variety Rice prepared with Potatoes with a pleasant aroma of the nutritious Fenugreek leaves .
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Potatoes ( Pealed and cubed ) – 2 cups
Fenugreek leaves ( Washed and chopped ) – 2cups
Sesame oil – 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Curry leaves – a few
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Sambar powder – 1 tsp
Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
1. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
2. Add asafoetida , turmeric powder and curry leaves.
3. Stir in the fenugreek leaves and cook till it wilts.
4. Add the potato cubes , stir , cover and cook on medium flame till almost done.
5. Add salt and Sambar Powder and blend well with potatoes.
6. Cook till the potatoes are roasted and then add the tomatoes.
7. Keep stirring till the tomatoes are just cooked.
8. Switch off flame and add cooked rice.
9. Blend the rice well with the curry gently without mashing the rice or potatoes . A teaspoon of sesame oil can be added at this stage if you feel the rice is too dry.
Enjoy the flavoursome Potato Rice with any raita of your choice or with thick plain curds,