Gojju also known as Menskai is a sweet sour traditional dish popular in Karnataka . It is one of the mandatory dishes included in a festive spread . Gojjus can be prepared using vegetables as well as fruits. Tamarind is used in the preparation of Gojjus with vegetables like capsicum, okra or bitter gourd. But the same can be omitted while preparing Gojjus using sweet sour fruits like Pineapple, Mango or Gooseberries . Here is a recipe to prepare a sweet sour finger licking Nellikkai Gojju / Gooseberry relish .
Gooseberries – 10
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery – a plum size ball
Salt – 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GOJJU MASALA
Split Black gram dal – 2 tbsps
White Sesame seeds – 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red chillies – 3 ( Broken)
Grated coconut – 2 tbsps
Oil – 1/4 tsp
TO MAKE THE GOJJU PASTE
1. Dry roast sesame seeds and keep aside.
2. Roast Black gram dal, Fenugreek seeds , Cumin seeds and Red chillies in hot oil till they emanate a very pleasant aroma and allow them to cool .
3. Grind all the roasted ingredients with coconut gratings into a smooth paste adding little water .
TO MAKE THE GOJJU
1. Cover the gooseberries with water and cook adding turmeric powder, salt and jaggery.
2. When the berries are cooked blend in the ground Gojju masala .
3. Stir well and cook till the Gojju thickens and switch off flame.
Add a seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves if you wish to.
Enjoy the flavoursome Nellikkai Gojju with steaming hot rice as a main course or relish it as a side dish with your meal.