MULAI KATTIYA VENDAYA PARUPPU
Fenugreek seeds / Menthya / Vendayam have their own health benefits. Including these seeds in the diet helps in good digestion . Chewing 1/4 tsp of these seeds followed by drinking a warm cup of water alleviates flatulence. They are said to have lactogenic properties hence used in the preparation of postpartum diets. Soak a spoon of Fenugreek Seeds in a cup of warm milk and stir in a teaspoon of curd . Allow it to set overnight . Having the fresh ‘Fenugreek Curd’ along with the soaked seeds on an empty stomach in the morning cools down the body system . Sprouted Fenugreek Seeds are known as Molake Menthya in Kannada and Mulai Kattiya Vendayam in Tamil. These sprouts are as nutritious as all other sprouts and are especially rich in protein. Fenugreek Sprouts can be included in salads . They can be made into Kuzhambus or added to the batter while steaming Idlies or making Dosas. Here is a recipe where Fenugreek Sprouts are used in making a delicious Dal / Tovvae / Parupu.
Fenugreek Sprouts – 1 cup
Split pigeon peas/ Tur Dal – 1cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Onion ( Finely chopped ) – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes ( Chopped ) – 1/2 cup
Fresh ginger ( Finely chopped) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – a few
Mustard seeds – 1 pinch
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Sambar Powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Sesame oil – 2 tbsps
TO SPROUT THE FENUGREEK SEEDS
Wash and soak 1 cup of Fenugreek Seeds in clean water for 12 hours.
Drain the seeds and store them in an air tight container.
Leave the container in a warm place overnight.
Next morning you will see the sprouts.
Sprinkle little water if they look very dry , close the lid , shake well and leave it for another day to obtain longer sprouts.
Store in refrigerator for future use .
TO MAKE THE DAL
1. Pressure cook dal adding turmeric powder and 2 cups of water .
2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds .
3. Add ginger, curry leaves and chopped onion and saute till the onion turns golden in colour.
4. Stir in chopped tomatoes, followed by Sambar powder and salt .
5. Cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
6. Add the Fenugreek Sprouts and stir for two minutes.
7. Mash the cooked dal and add it to the kadai .
8. Add 1/2 cup of water, stir and bring it to a boil. ( Optional : Half a tsp of garam masala powder may be added at this stage )
9. Switch off flame when all the ingredients combine well.
Enjoy the Molake Menthya Tovvae / Mulai Kattiya Vendaya Paruppu / Sprouted Fenugreek Dal
with rice or chapaties .