Gojju also known as Menaskai is a Karnataka delicacy. A wedding feast is never complete without this sweet-sour relish. Gojjus can be prepared using any sweet sour fruit. But Pineapple Gojju / Menaskai is the most popular relish. Here is a unique Gojju / Menskai prepared with Star Fruit known as Kamarakshi in Kannada.
Ripe Star Fruit slices – 2 cups
Tamarind – 1 plum size ball ( Extract juice )
Jaggery – 1 plum size piece
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Salt – 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE GOJJU PASTE
Sesame seeds – 2 tbsps
Split Black gram dal – 2 tbsp
Red chillies ( Broken) – 3
Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fresh coconut ( Grated) – 2 tbsps
Sesame oil – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds and curry leaves for seasoning
TO MAKE THE GOJJU PASTE
1. Dry roast Sesame seeds and keep aside .
2. Roast split Black gram dal, Fenugreek seeds , Cumin seeds, Red chillies and Asafoetida in 1/4 tsp of oil till they emanate a pleasant aroma.
3. Cool the roasted ingredients and grind with roasted sesame seeds and fresh coconut into a smooth paste adding water.
TO MAKE THE GOJJU
1. Lightly scrape the rinds and cut the Star fruits into star shaped slices.
2 . Cook the Star fruit slices in tamarind juice adding salt, turmeric powder and jaggery.
3. Blend in the prepared gojju paste and cook for few more minutes till the gojju thickens and switch off flame.
4. Splutter a pinch of mustard seeds and curry leaves in 1/4 tsp of oil and season the gojju.
Relish the flavoursome Star Fruit Gojju / Menaskai with steaming hot rice.