After posting Sihi Kumbalakayi Idly using Idly Rava and pumpkin , I wanted to try out Rava Idly with grated pumpkin. It did turn out well and I posted the picture in my Facebook page. Posting the recipe here after there was a request for the recipe from an ardent follower.
Bansi Rava / Sooji / thick Semolina – 1 cup
Grated pumpkin – 1 cup
Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 pinch
Split black gram dal – 1/4 tsp
Bengalgram dal / Chana dal – 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts – a few
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Green chillies ( Chopped ) – 1 tsp
Fresh ginger ( Chopped ) – 1 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1. Heat one teaspoon of oil and roast Rava / Sooji / Semolina till it emanates a pleasant aroma.
2. Add the grated pumpkin to the roasted Rava after it cools down.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
4. Add the dals followed by cashew nuts and roast till they become golden in colour.
5. Add asafoetida and pour the seasoning into the Rava Pumpkin mixture.
6. Mix in the chopped green chillies, ginger , salt and coriander leaves.
7. Mix thoroughly adding very little water. You may even add about two table spoons of curd .
8. Set it aside for 15 minutes, while you grease and prepare the Idly plates.
9. The mixture should be just wet enough to hold when you make a ball out of it. If it is too dry and crumbly sprinkle little more water.
10. Take a ball of the Rava Pumpkin mixture and gently pat and pack it into the Idly plate.
11. Pat and pack the entire Rava Pumpkin Idly mixture into all the greased Idly moulds and steam them for fifteen minutes in a pressure cooker.
Remove them gently after about fifteen minutes and enjoy with Coconut and Fried gram chutney.
COCONUT AND FRIED GRAM CHUTNEY
Freshly grated coconut – 2 cups
Fried Gram – 2 tbsps
Green chilly – 1 big
Fresh ginger – 1” piece
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Grind all the ingredients together in a mixer into a smooth chutney of flowing consistency adding enough water. Mix in the juice of half lime. Season with mustard seeds if required and enjoy with your Grated Pumpkin Rava Idlies.