Spreading joy and good will is the main aim of sharing goodies during festivals. This is the time of the year when the winter months come to a close and Makara Sankranti heralds the arrival of the bright and sunny Spring season . Makara Sankranti is a harvest festival celebrated by all the states in India . Each state celebrates the festival with its own traditional food prepared with the seasonal produce. Sesame seeds which lend warmth and nourishment to the body find an important place in the festive sweets of all states. In Karnataka Yellu Bella – a mixture of Sesame seeds, Jaggery, Peanuts, Roasted Gram and Copra – is distributed among friends and relatives during Sankranti . ‘Yellu Bella tindu olle maatanaadu’ is a saying which means ‘ eat sesame and jaggery and speak good words. ‘ Sesame Laddus and Sesame Chikkis are popular in other states.
Five Seeds Laddu is a Makara Sankranti / Pongal special prepared with a blend of four other healthy seeds along with Sesame seeds.
Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup
Flax seeds – 1/4 cup
Pumpkin seeds – 1/4 cup
Sunflower seeds – 1/4 cup
Chia seeds – 1/4 cup
Raisins – 1 cup
Cardamom – 2
1. Dry roast the seeds one by one till they start cracking, emanating a pleasant nutty flavour.
2. Allow the roasted seeds to cool down .
3. Grind the roasted seeds together into a coarse powder .
4. Add raisins and cardamom and grind again .
5. The powder will come together when the seeds start releasing oil .
6. Scoop the powder into a bowl and knead well .
7. Take small portions of the seeds and raisin mixture and firmly shape them into Laddus .
The oil from the seeds and the stickiness in the raisins will help to hold the Laddus together .
Enjoy the healthy Five Seeds Laddus and share them with your near and dear ones during the festival .